Friday, April 3, 2009

Ultimate super-light tripod


After some thorough research looking for a super duper ultra lightweight tripod and head I really didn't find anything that fit the application I was thinking of.  Namely back country hiking, biking, overseas travel and general active recreation and travel photography.  I'm thinking something of carry on variety, very minimalist but still stout enough to hold my 5D Canon Body and 70-200mm IS zoom.  Most of what I looked at on the internet was about twice the weight I was targeting.  Enter the Gitzo GT0531 6X Carbon fiber tripod.  Given not cheap, but very strong for it's size.  I ended up matching it up with a Really Right Stuff BH-25 ballhead with circular platform.  Now the head wasn't to bad, coming in at just under $100. And the nicest part is the whole set up weighs 1.75 lbs!  Now thats a lightweight tripod setup.  

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I would like to know where I could get this carbon fiber tripod. I will be traveling in Greece and on this island there will be a lot of walking. It would be nice to have a light weight tripod. Please email me

Unknown said...

I would like to know where I could get this carbon fiber tripod. I will be traveling in Greece and on this island there will be a lot of walking. It would be nice to have a light weight tripod. Please email northrains@gmail.com

Scott Spiker said...

Hi Karen, sorry just getting back to this--you should be able to get this tripod at any good quality retail, online or mail order photo supply store. Ifrequently use B&H and Adorama out of NY. But I was actually able to talk my local (Portland) ProPhoto store down about 10% so purchased it locally. I love the thing and use it all the time, sometimes even strapping it to my mountain bike frame!!

Jhon said...

Tripod stand is very safe to stand the light, it also capable to take the overload. Thats why i prefer to use Telescoping Tripod Worklight. Thanks